If you are experiencing back pain, you are not alone. You are among 85 percent of people whose back pain is bothersome enough to see a doctor. At East West Chiropractic, serving Groton and the nearby areas, we specialize in treating back pain using various chiropractic techniques. There are many potential causes of back pain, including:
- Muscle strain: Repeated movements or lifting heavy objects can strain spinal ligaments and back muscles.
- Auto accident/trauma: Accidents may fracture spinal bones and strain back muscles, causing swelling, inflammation, and pain.
- Sciatica: This refers to the pain that radiates along the path of the sciatic nerve. It affects one side of the body and radiates from the lower back to the hips and buttocks up to either leg.
- Bulging or herniated discs: Discs cushion the spine’s vertebrae. Sometimes, discs rupture and the inner material leaks out, placing pressure on the surrounding nerves. This action leads to pain, tingling, and numbness.
- Arthritis: This inflammatory disease affects joints in your body, including those in your back. It results in joint pain, stiffness, and swelling.
- Osteoporosis: This condition is associated with decreased bone mass in the spine and hips, making bones weak and susceptible to fractures.
How Chiropractors Relieve Back Pain
Chiropractors use non-addictive and non-invasive procedures to treat pain, swelling, and inflammation. Chiropractic adjustments will relieve your back pain, improve your spine’s range of motion, and enhance your body’s natural ability to heal itself. Using their hands or a special device, chiropractors gently restore your body’s natural alignment and reduce pressure on nerves and soft tissues. Massage therapy may also be used to further alleviate your pain by improving your circulation and reducing muscle inflammation.
What to Expect in My First Chiropractic Visit
Your initial visit is likely to be an evaluation of your back pain. Our chiropractor will ask you to describe your symptoms and may conduct further tests (like x-rays) to help pinpoint the cause of your pain. Our chiropractor will also ask you questions about your medical history. Expect questions about past injuries, occupation, sleeping habits, medications you are currently on, your exercise regimen, and diet. After determining the root cause of your back pain, our chiropractor will create a chiropractic treatment plan tailored to your needs.