Your cervical, thoracic and lumbar spine are made up of a collection of bones which house and protect the spinal cord. There are also various tissues and nerves within the spinal column. Any abnormality within the alignment of these bones and spinal cord can cause various symptoms, including discomfort and pain. Neck pain and back pain are common conditions associated with abnormalities along your spine.
Common Causes of Neck Pain
Our necks (also known as the cervical spine) have 7 small vertebrae starting at the base of the skull which provide support and flexibility for our head. On average, our heads weigh about 12 pounds which can put added strain on the neck making it prone to injury and pain as it performs its various daily functions.
Neck pain can also be associated with the biomechanics of the back. Some of the most common causes of neck pain include:
- Daily life occurrences. Issues like poor ergonomics and posture, weak abdominal muscles, emotional tension, and stress can cause stiffness and pain.
- Age. As you age you may experience degenerative disorders like spinal stenosis, osteoarthritis, and degenerative disc disease which affect the spine.
- Injury, trauma or accident. Whiplash injury is a common cause of neck pain. Whiplash is a sudden force on your neck or head that results in a rebound motion to the opposite direction.
How Chiropractic Care Has Shown to Help with Neck Pain
First, a chiropractor will conduct various tests including physical and neurological exams to determine the root cause of your neck pain and the extent of your condition. Once he/she has determined the condition is within their scope, the doctor will conduct neck adjustments or cervical manipulations to help increase the mobility of the spine. By adjusting the alignment of the neck vertebrae and restoring the cervical spine to its natural state, the effect on the surrounding muscles and nerves is eliminated, therefore alleviating pain and stiffness.
Common Causes of Back Pain
Back pain is one of the most common reasons for seeking a healthcare provider and can include symptoms such as: muscle aching, a burning or stabbing sensation, pain and stiffness, numbness and tingling, and even weakness. Sometimes the pain can worsen and radiate to your leg particularly during activities like twisting, bending, lifting or standing for extended periods of time. Some common causes of back pain include:
- Injury, trauma or car accident
- Sciatica. Categorized by pain that radiates from your lower back through hips and buttocks and down the leg along the sciatic nerve pathway. Typically, sciatica affects only one side of your body.
- Strenuous activity such as heavy lifting.
- Protruding or herniated disc. This occurs when a portion of the cushion-like pad between the vertebrae pushes through the outer ring of the disc. This can cause pain and discomfort and if the disc presses against surrounding nerves, can also cause numbness and tingling.
- Poor ergonomics and muscle tone can place added pressure and weight on your discs and spine.
- Osteoporosis. Which means “porous bone” is when the bones become weak and brittle causing pain, height loss, hunched appearance and fractures.
How Chiropractic Helps to Relieve Back Pain
Chiropractic care helps alleviate back pain by gently manipulating the bones of the spine using a small device or a chiropractor's hands. The manipulation helps increase range of motion and flexibility. By keeping the vertebrae in correct alignment, the back can function properly preventing pain, injury and damage.
Make East West Chiropractic Your Choice Today
Whether you are experiencing neck or back pain or both, EWC tailors each treatment to your needs. Our office offers various services along with traditional chiropractic care to optimize your recovery including, massage, rehabilitative exercises, mobilization, PEMF, physical therapy, acupuncture, nutritional counseling and more. These protocols have shown to significantly reduce, if not eliminate neck and back pain. If we determine your condition falls outside the scope of our treatment protocols, we will refer you to another doctor or to your family physician and will coordinate medical and chiropractic care to optimize your recovery.
East West Chiropractic is located in Groton, CT and also serves surrounding the towns (Mystic, Stonington, New London, Gales Ferry, Waterford, and Ledyard).
Call us today at (860)446-9700 to schedule an appointment or to make an inquiry.